name="verify-v1" content="OOAFqq7TaI1dAOqPBvzRH0BKl3lA7FjluWxmr/tROI4=" FEAST INDONESIA: .jakarta's street food: martabak.

Nammos Beach Club, Bali

Feast Indonesia: an introduction

Welcome to Feast Indonesia!

I'll give you suggestions on what to do, where to shop and what to eat, just like the locals; through my own experiences. With the help of my lovely family and friends, they'll share their stories with you so that you get many perspective on Indonesia. So.. feast your sight and senses, Feast Indonesia.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

.jakarta's street food: martabak.















I remember my dad used to bring this famous street food home from work and I will be so happy, I could finished the whole box myself. This sweet-yummy-goodness is called martabak manis or terang bulan. Now, essentially, its a pancake, with an Indonesian twist. Martabak also comes in savoury flavour with cheese fillings and there's also a version made from eggs. My favourite is martabak manis with chocolate and nuts filling. The texture of the base is very soft that melt in your mouth, with melting chocolate and then the nuts gives the whole cake, a crunch. Yuumm!!!

The ingredients for martabak manis (the sweet version) are quite simple, just like pancake, there's flour, milk and eggs. You can put whatever you want inside as a filling. Martabak Manis is a very popular street snack, trust me, I am craving for it right now! You can find Martabak stand anywhere in Jakarta's street corners. You'll most likely to find many of the hawker style stand after the sun goes down. They will have signs all over their stand saying "MARTABAK" or "TERANG BULAN", with their little light bulb and cooking away in the typical Jakarta's balmy weather.

So whenever you get a chance to go to Jakarta, I highly recommend you to hunt down these hawker's stand and try these yummy-goodness, sweet or savoury. Happy eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment